What is Massage Therapy
Massage Therapy is a hands-on intervention that manipulates the body's soft tissues, such as the muscles, joints, ligaments, tendons and connective tissues. It's effects on the health are attributed to its interaction with the muscular, nervous and circulatory systems. Ultimately, the practice of Massage Therapy targets optimal health and well-being.
For more information about Massage Therapy, refer to the following website:
How Can Massage Therapy Help Me?
People of all ages and conditions can benefit from massage therapy as it is widely used to treat many conditions including:
- Musculoskeletal conditions e.g. muscle spasms, tendonitis, sprains and strains
- Repetitive strain injuries (a.k.a. Accumulative Trauma Disorder) e.g. rotator cuff tendonitis
- Low back pain
- Headaches and migraines
- Neck and shoulder tension and pain
- Whiplash/motor vehicle accidents
- Respiratory problems e.g. asthma
- Poor circulation
- High blood pressure
- Adhesive capsulitis (a.k.a. frozen shoulder)
- Joint pain, arthritic conditions
- Neurological deficits and pain e.g. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Digestive problems
- Jaw pain e.g. TMJ Dysfunction
- Prenatal / postpartum conditions
- Breast conditions e.g. PMS or post-surgical mastectomy
- Palliative conditions e.g. cancer, ALS
- Chronic conditions e.g. chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, AIDS, Multiple Sclerosis
registered Massage therapy
Massage therapy is a regulated health profession in Ontario. Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) have completed a 2-3 year course at a recognized school of massage therapy, have passed provincial competency exams and must meet the standards of their college: the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO).
With the completion of over 150 hours of clinical training before graduation, each graduate from RMT programs in Ontario are prepared to handle the needs of their clients. All RMTs must maintain their registration by participating in continued education and a Quality Assurance Program that assists them in maintenance of high professional standards and quality care of clients.